SQL Getting Started Guide

Denis Magda-2
Igniters,

There is a lot of SQL related documentation available for Ignite. However, the one can get lost in it when he/she does her first steps on a learning path. It’s time to simplify these are first steps with a clear and straightforward getting started guide. I’ve put the requirements into this JIRA ticket:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5886 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5886>

Please share your thoughts in JIRA or in this discussion.

Akmal, who perfected his technical writer skills working for IBM, volunteered to take over this task. Akmal, please create an account in Ignite JIRA and share it with us. You’ll be able to assign the task on yourself afterwards.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/IGNITE <https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/IGNITE>

Moreover, once the guide is ready Prachi will use it as a basis for the new SQL screencast we need to produce.

Denis

Re: SQL Getting Started Guide

Akmal Chaudhri
Denis, All:

Jira account details:

Username: abchaudhri
Email: akmal.chaudhri AT gridgain.com
Full Name: Akmal Chaudhri

Thank you.

On 31 July 2017 at 19:02, Denis Magda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Igniters,
>
> There is a lot of SQL related documentation available for Ignite. However,
> the one can get lost in it when he/she does her first steps on a learning
> path. It’s time to simplify these are first steps with a clear and
> straightforward getting started guide. I’ve put the requirements into this
> JIRA ticket:
>
> Please share your thoughts in JIRA or in this discussion.
>
> Akmal, who perfected his technical writer skills working for IBM,
> volunteered to take over this task. Akmal, please create an account in
> Ignite JIRA and share it with us. You’ll be able to assign the task on
> yourself afterwards.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/IGNITE
>
> Moreover, once the guide is ready Prachi will use it as a basis for the
> new SQL screencast we need to produce.
>
> —
> Denis

Re: SQL Getting Started Guide

Denis Magda-2
Akmal,

The contributor permissions are granted in JIRA. Please go ahead and assign the ticket on yourself.

Keep us posted on the progress and don’t hesitate raising any questions if you face troubles.

Denis

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 7:17 AM, Akmal Chaudhri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Denis, All:
>
> Jira account details:
>
> Username: abchaudhri
> Email: akmal.chaudhri AT gridgain.com
> Full Name: Akmal Chaudhri
>
> Thank you.
>
> On 31 July 2017 at 19:02, Denis Magda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Igniters,
>>
>> There is a lot of SQL related documentation available for Ignite. However,
>> the one can get lost in it when he/she does her first steps on a learning
>> path. It’s time to simplify these are first steps with a clear and
>> straightforward getting started guide. I’ve put the requirements into this
>> JIRA ticket:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5886
>>
>> Please share your thoughts in JIRA or in this discussion.
>>
>> Akmal, who perfected his technical writer skills working for IBM,
>> volunteered to take over this task. Akmal, please create an account in
>> Ignite JIRA and share it with us. You’ll be able to assign the task on
>> yourself afterwards.
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/IGNITE
>>
>> Moreover, once the guide is ready Prachi will use it as a basis for the
>> new SQL screencast we need to produce.
>>
>> —
>> Denis

Re: SQL Getting Started Guide

Akmal Chaudhri
Denis, All

I have made some progress with the documentation:

https://apacheignite.readme.io/v2.1/docs/getting-started-sql

ODBC connectivity and examples are missing, but should be completed very
soon.

Community feedback welcome.

Thanks.

On 31 July 2017 at 19:02, Denis Magda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Igniters,
>
> There is a lot of SQL related documentation available for Ignite. However,
> the one can get lost in it when he/she does her first steps on a learning
> path. It’s time to simplify these are first steps with a clear and
> straightforward getting started guide. I’ve put the requirements into this
> JIRA ticket:
>
> Please share your thoughts in JIRA or in this discussion.
>
> Akmal, who perfected his technical writer skills working for IBM,
> volunteered to take over this task. Akmal, please create an account in
> Ignite JIRA and share it with us. You’ll be able to assign the task on
> yourself afterwards.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/IGNITE
>
> Moreover, once the guide is ready Prachi will use it as a basis for the
> new SQL screencast we need to produce.
>
> —
> Denis

Re: SQL Getting Started Guide

Denis Magda-2
Akmal,

Good start! Please consider the following feedback:

1. Connectivity section. Emphasize that ignite-core.jar has to be copied to the classpath of an app or tool and give a link to more advanced JDBC Thin driver documentation if the one needs more details. Probably, similar steps should be brought up for the ODBC once it’s ready.

2. Make the first letters of city and people tables uppercase: city -> City, people -> People

3. Rename INSERT section to “Inserting Data”, SELECT to “Querying Data”, UPDATE -> “Modifying Data”, DELETE to “Removing Data” or to better alternatives.

4. Show how to insert at least 2 cities and 5 people in the INSERT section.

Denis

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 10:42 AM, Akmal Chaudhri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Denis, All
>
> I have made some progress with the documentation:
>
> https://apacheignite.readme.io/v2.1/docs/getting-started-sql <https://apacheignite.readme.io/v2.1/docs/getting-started-sql>
>
> ODBC connectivity and examples are missing, but should be completed very soon.
>
> Community feedback welcome.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On 31 July 2017 at 19:02, Denis Magda <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Igniters,
>
> There is a lot of SQL related documentation available for Ignite. However, the one can get lost in it when he/she does her first steps on a learning path. It’s time to simplify these are first steps with a clear and straightforward getting started guide. I’ve put the requirements into this JIRA ticket:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5886 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5886>
>
> Please share your thoughts in JIRA or in this discussion.
>
> Akmal, who perfected his technical writer skills working for IBM, volunteered to take over this task. Akmal, please create an account in Ignite JIRA and share it with us. You’ll be able to assign the task on yourself afterwards.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/IGNITE <https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/IGNITE>
>
> Moreover, once the guide is ready Prachi will use it as a basis for the new SQL screencast we need to produce.
>
> —
> Denis

Re: SQL Getting Started Guide

Denis Magda-2
Igniters,

The SQL getting started guide is ready and published:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/v2.1/docs/getting-started-sql <https://apacheignite.readme.io/v2.1/docs/getting-started-sql>

Akmal thanks for your efforts and please apply the following minor changes:
* Add ODBC source files to your GitHub project.
* Add a flat SQL file (script) to the same project that will include all the pure SQL statements used in the guide.

Basing on this guide I’ve prepared and release a guide for DBeaver SQL tool:
https://apacheignite-tools.readme.io/docs/dbeaver <https://apacheignite-tools.readme.io/docs/dbeaver>

Denis

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 3:17 PM, Denis Magda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Akmal,
>
> Good start! Please consider the following feedback:
>
> 1. Connectivity section. Emphasize that ignite-core.jar has to be copied to the classpath of an app or tool and give a link to more advanced JDBC Thin driver documentation if the one needs more details. Probably, similar steps should be brought up for the ODBC once it’s ready.
>
> 2. Make the first letters of city and people tables uppercase: city -> City, people -> People
>
> 3. Rename INSERT section to “Inserting Data”, SELECT to “Querying Data”, UPDATE -> “Modifying Data”, DELETE to “Removing Data” or to better alternatives.
>
> 4. Show how to insert at least 2 cities and 5 people in the INSERT section.
>
> —
> Denis
>
>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 10:42 AM, Akmal Chaudhri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Denis, All
>>
>> I have made some progress with the documentation:
>>
>> https://apacheignite.readme.io/v2.1/docs/getting-started-sql <https://apacheignite.readme.io/v2.1/docs/getting-started-sql>
>>
>> ODBC connectivity and examples are missing, but should be completed very soon.
>>
>> Community feedback welcome.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> On 31 July 2017 at 19:02, Denis Magda <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> Igniters,
>>
>> There is a lot of SQL related documentation available for Ignite. However, the one can get lost in it when he/she does her first steps on a learning path. It’s time to simplify these are first steps with a clear and straightforward getting started guide. I’ve put the requirements into this JIRA ticket:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5886 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5886>
>>
>> Please share your thoughts in JIRA or in this discussion.
>>
>> Akmal, who perfected his technical writer skills working for IBM, volunteered to take over this task. Akmal, please create an account in Ignite JIRA and share it with us. You’ll be able to assign the task on yourself afterwards.
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/IGNITE <https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/IGNITE>
>>
>> Moreover, once the guide is ready Prachi will use it as a basis for the new SQL screencast we need to produce.
>>
>> —
>> Denis

Re: SQL Getting Started Guide

Akmal Chaudhri
When I have the opportunity to test the ODBC code and ensure that it
performs, I will add it to GH. At the moment, just snippets exist. If
anyone can assist with this, I would appreciate it, as I have no experience
with ODBC. I made some efforts to build the ODBC driver and have had some
success on Windows and Linux, but have been unable to run any C++ code.

On 16 August 2017 at 21:41, Denis Magda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> the one can get lost in it when he/she does her first steps on a learning
> path. It’s time to simplify these are first steps with a clear and
> straightforward getting started guide. I’ve put the requirements into this
> JIRA ticket:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5886 <
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5886>
>
> Please share your thoughts in JIRA or in this discussion.
>
> Akmal, who perfected his technical writer skills working for IBM,
> volunteered to take over this task. Akmal, please create an account in
> Ignite JIRA and share it with us. You’ll be able to assign the task on
> yourself afterwards.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/IGNITE <https://issues.apache.org/
> jira/projects/IGNITE>
>
> Moreover, once the guide is ready Prachi will use it as a basis for the

Igor Sapego-2
Akmal,

I work on the ODBC driver and would be glad to help. You can send
mails with your requests to devlist and I will try to help as much as I
can.

Best Regards,
Igor

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Akmal Chaudhri <[hidden email]
> [...]

> > path. It’s time to simplify these are first steps with a clear and
> > straightforward getting started guide. I’ve put the requirements into
> this
> > JIRA ticket:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5886 <
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5886>
> >
> > Please share your thoughts in JIRA or in this discussion.
> >
> > Akmal, who perfected his technical writer skills working for IBM,
> > volunteered to take over this task. Akmal, please create an account in
> > Ignite JIRA and share it with us. You’ll be able to assign the task on
> > yourself afterwards.
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/IGNITE <
> https://issues.apache.org/
> > jira/projects/IGNITE>
> >
> > Moreover, once the guide is ready Prachi will use it as a basis for the

Igor,

Would you mind helping us to test the snippets? I do believe it will take you a couple of minutes since the environment is set up on your side.

Denis

> [...]
>>> path. It’s time to simplify these are first steps with a clear and
>>> straightforward getting started guide. I’ve put the requirements into
>> this
>>> JIRA ticket:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5886 <
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5886>
>>>
>>> Please share your thoughts in JIRA or in this discussion.
>>>
>>> Akmal, who perfected his technical writer skills working for IBM,
>>> volunteered to take over this task. Akmal, please create an account in
>>> Ignite JIRA and share it with us. You’ll be able to assign the task on
>>> yourself afterwards.
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/IGNITE <
>> https://issues.apache.org/
>>> jira/projects/IGNITE>
>>>
>>> Moreover, once the guide is ready Prachi will use it as a basis for the

I've checked ODBC snippets and fixed all found issues.

Best Regards,
Igor

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 11:16 PM, Denis Magda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Igor,
>
> Would you mind helping us to test the snippets? I do believe it will take
> you a couple of minutes since the environment is set up on your side.
>
> —
> Denis
>
> > On Aug 17, 2017, at 5:37 AM, Igor Sapego <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Akmal,
> >
> > I work on the ODBC driver and would be glad to help. You can send
> > mails with your requests to devlist and I will try to help as much as I
> > can.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Igor
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Akmal Chaudhri <
> [hidden email]
> >> wrote:
> >
> >> When I have the opportunity to test the ODBC code and ensure that it
> >> performs, I will add it to GH. At the moment, just snippets exist. If
> >> anyone can assist with this, I would appreciate it, as I have no
> experience
> >> with ODBC. I made some efforts to build the ODBC driver and have had
> some
> >> success on Windows and Linux, but have been unable to run any C++ code.

> >> changes:
> all

> copied
> JDBC
> >> similar

> Data”,

> >> section.

> >> [hidden email]>

> very

> >> However,
> learning
> >> this

> >> https://issues.apache.org/

Re: SQL Getting Started Guide

Denis Magda-2
Igor, thanks a lot. Appreciate this!

Denis

> On Aug 18, 2017, at 8:56 AM, Igor Sapego <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've checked ODBC snippets and fixed all found issues.
>
> Best Regards,
> Igor
>
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 11:16 PM, Denis Magda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Igor,
>>
>> Would you mind helping us to test the snippets? I do believe it will take
>> you a couple of minutes since the environment is set up on your side.
>>
>> —
>> Denis
>>
>>> On Aug 17, 2017, at 5:37 AM, Igor Sapego <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Akmal,
>>>
>>> I work on the ODBC driver and would be glad to help. You can send
>>> mails with your requests to devlist and I will try to help as much as I
>>> can.
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Igor
>>>
>>> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Akmal Chaudhri <
>> [hidden email]

>> experience
>> some

>> all

>> copied
>> JDBC

>> Data”,

>> very

>> learning

Re: SQL Getting Started Guide

Prachi Garg
Hi Igor,

The getting started guide is missing an example oh how to create a Person
table (under ODBC tab).
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/getting-started-sql#section-create-tables

I am trying to put one on the website. Does the following look ok?

// Create table based on PARTITIONED template with one backup
SQLCHAR query[] = "CREATE TABLE Person ( "
    "id LONG, name VARCHAR, city_id LONG "
    "PRIMARY KEY (id, city_id)) "
    "WITH \"backups=1, affinityKey=city_id\"";
SQLSMALLINT queryLen = static_cast<SQLSMALLINT>(sizeof(query));

SQLRETURN ret = SQLExecDirect(stmt, query, queryLen);