Stop sending IGNITE Created e-mails to dev@

12

Stop sending IGNITE Created e-mails to dev@

Ilya Kasnacheev-2
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Stop sending IGNITE Created e-mails to dev@

Atri Sharma-2
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Stop sending IGNITE Created e-mails to dev@

Denis Mekhanikov
Huge +1 to this.

I've already brought up this topic in the past:
http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/Bots-on-dev-list-td34406.html
I hope some day newcomers won't need to set up their email filters when
they come to the developers list.

Denis

ср, 14 апр. 2021 г. в 18:07, Atri Sharma <[hidden email]>:

> +1 to move issues to the issues list.
>
> For MTCGA, maybe build@?
>
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 8:35 PM Ilya Kasnacheev <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > We have a discussion on how to ensure best engagement in dev@ list, and
> it
> > seems that Issue Created emails from IGNITE project consume a lot of
> screen
> > space, it's hard to spot genuine discussions in
> > https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@... for example.

> > JIRA emails to dev@. If anyone wishes to get just Created emails, they
> can
> > subscribe to these messages in their JIRA account settings. I imagine
> most
> > of you already filter these messages out, so you may need to adjust your
> > filters slightly.
> >
> > A distant second is MTCGA messages, which are also autogenerated and not
> > informative for most readers of the channel, since they are at best
> > targeted at a single committer and at worst flaky.
> >
> > Where could we move those? What is your opinion here, on both issues?
> >
> > Regards,
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Atri
> Apache Concerted

Re: Stop sending IGNITE Created e-mails to dev@

Maxim Muzafarov
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Stop sending IGNITE Created e-mails to dev@

Ivan Pavlukhin
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Stop sending IGNITE Created e-mails to dev@

Ilya Kasnacheev
Hello, Maxim!

You are free to revert any commit which has led to any new stable test
failure, or new flaky test that was non-flaky before.

Just revert the change and reopen the ticket.

The problem here is that it's very hard to detect on the spot, most of
MTCGA e-mails are false positives and even if they are not, it is not
relevant for most of developers.

WDYT? I'm also still waiting for more input.

Ilya Kasnacheev

ср, 14 апр. 2021 г. в 21:26, Maxim Muzafarov <[hidden email]>:

> +1 for new JIRA issues
> -1 for MTCGA notifications
>
> Why we should hide errors from the dev-list? Who should take care of
> issues reported by MTCGA.Bot in this case?
> We must apply stricter rules for such issues: a commit leading to an
> error must be reverted.
>
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 at 20:00, Denis Mekhanikov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Huge +1 to this.
> >
> > I've already brought up this topic in the past:
> >
> http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/Bots-on-dev-list-td34406.html
> > I hope some day newcomers won't need to set up their email filters when
> > they come to the developers list.
> >
> > Denis
> >
> > ср, 14 апр. 2021 г. в 18:07, Atri Sharma <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > > +1 to move issues to the issues list.
> > >
> > > For MTCGA, maybe build@?

> and
> > > it
> > > screen
> example.

> sending any
> they
> > > can
> > > most
> your

> not

> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Atri
> > > Apache Concerted

Re: Stop sending IGNITE Created e-mails to dev@

Alexey Goncharuk
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Stop sending IGNITE Created e-mails to dev@

Ilya Kasnacheev
Hello!

INFRA ticket created: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-21762

I have asked to keep sending the created issue notifications for
"Contributors 1" role, which is empty at present. So if you wish to keep
getting those e-mails, please add yourself to this role or tell me to do so
for you.

Ilya Kasnacheev

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Stop sending IGNITE Created e-mails to dev@

Dmitry Pavlov
CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Stop sending IGNITE Created e-mails to dev@

Ilya Kasnacheev
Hello!

I have added you to "Contributors 1" role. Everybody in this role will
still get those "issue created" e-mail.

Feel free in asking me to enlist.

Ilya Kasnacheev

CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Stop sending IGNITE Created e-mails to dev@

slava.koptilin
Hello Ilya,

Could you please add me to the "Contributors 1" role?

Thanks,
S.

пн, 26 апр. 2021 г. в 12:29, Ilya Kasnacheev <[hidden email]>:

> Hello!
>
> I have added you to "Contributors 1" role. Everybody in this role will
> still get those "issue created" e-mail.
>
> Feel free in asking me to enlist.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Ilya Kasnacheev
>

> чт, 22 апр. 2021 г. в 18:16, Ivan Pavlukhin <[hidden email]>:
>
> > > All issues notifications are also sent to [hidden email] so
> > one can subscribe to this list in order to track the created tickets.
> >
> > Does not sound as useful advice. Issues list [1] looks like real
> > scrapyard, I doubt that it can be usable for anyone in current flavor.
> > Can we send only "Created" notifications there?
> >
> > [1] https://lists.apache.org/list.html?issues@...

> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > INFRA ticket created:
> > >
> > > I have asked to keep sending the created issue notifications for
> > > "Contributors 1" role, which is empty at present. So if you wish to
> keep
> > > getting those e-mails, please add yourself to this role or tell me to
> do
> > so
> > > for you.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > --
> > > Ilya Kasnacheev
> > >

> > > ср, 21 апр. 2021 г. в 17:59, Alexey Goncharuk <

> > UI

> [hidden email]
> > >:

> test

> of
> not

> of
> an

> http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/Bots-on-dev-list-td34406.html
> filters

> dev@
> for

> stop

> at

> both

> > --
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Ivan Pavlukhin

Re: Stop sending IGNITE Created e-mails to dev@

Ilya Kasnacheev
Hello!

I think that role names are per-JIRA global, we can't rename them on a per
project basis.

It exists for very large projects to put more contributors on, we don't use
it so I changed its meaning. You can mention it on the wiki if you know
where. I'm not sure if it belongs on "how to contribute" because most of
new contributors don't need new issies feed.

Slava, I have added you to the role also.

Ilya Kasnacheev

вт, 27 апр. 2021 г. в 11:39, Dmitriy Pavlov <[hidden email]>:

> I guess so. It was always not clear for me why do we have 'contributors 1'
> role.
>
> It might worth to rename role itself to contibutors with notifications.
>
> Sincerely,
> Dmitriy Pavlov
>
> пн, 26 апр. 2021 г., 13:01 Ivan Pavlukhin <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Hi Ilya,
> >
> > > I have added you to "Contributors 1" role. Everybody in this role will
> > still get those "issue created" e-mail.
> >
> > Thank you for that!
> >
> > Should not we mention this tweak with "Contributors 1" role somewhere
> > in advanced how-to-contribute page?

> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I have added you to "Contributors 1" role. Everybody in this role will
> > > still get those "issue created" e-mail.
> > >
> > > Feel free in asking me to enlist.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > --

> so

> > >:

> order
> > archive

> most

> >:

> care

> http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/Bots-on-dev-list-td34406.html

> consume
> > for

> > stop
> Created
> settings.

> are

> > --
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Ivan Pavlukhin

Re: Stop sending IGNITE Created e-mails to dev@

Pavel Pereslegin
CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Stop sending IGNITE Created e-mails to dev@

Ilya Kasnacheev
Hello!

Thank you for doing that.

Ilya Kasnacheev

ср, 28 апр. 2021 г. в 10:58, Ivan Pavlukhin <[hidden email]>:

> Ilya,
>
> > You can mention it on the wiki if you know where.
>
> It is sad that we intentionally add some magics and secrets to the project.
>
> I have not found a good section in wiki for that and added a new dumb
> section [1].
>
> [1]
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/How+to+subscribe+for+%5BJIRA%5D+%5BCreated%5D+notifications

> > Hello Ilya.
> >
> > Could you please add me to "Contributors 1" too?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > вт, 27 апр. 2021 г. в 18:51, Ilya Kasnacheev <[hidden email]
> >:
> >>
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> I think that role names are per-JIRA global, we can't rename them on a
> >> per
> >> project basis.
> >>
> >> It exists for very large projects to put more contributors on, we don't
> >> use
> >> it so I changed its meaning. You can mention it on the wiki if you know
> >> where. I'm not sure if it belongs on "how to contribute" because most of
> >> new contributors don't need new issies feed.
> >>
> >> Slava, I have added you to the role also.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> --

> 'contributors

> notifications.